How to apply for accommodation:
The process when applying for on-campus residence:
- Applicants must first be accepted by the faculty before they can be considered for on-campus residences.
- The closing date for applying to the university is the end of September each year.
- Receipt of your application for on-campus residence will be acknowledged but this does not guarantee a space in the residence.
- All first year students are expected to share rooms.
- Applicants are grouped and selected within the same faculty so that common academic interests are shared and opportunities to learn from each other are created.
- Nelson Mandela University accepts no responsibility for a student’s personal property. Please ensure that you are insured against such eventualities.
- Priority will be given to applicants with high Admission Point Scores (APS). In the case of a number of applicants having the same APS, the Quintile 1, 2 & 3 schools (no-fee schools) you come from will determine the applicant’s selection.
- Priority will be given to applicants living outside the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality (NMBM) for Port Elizabeth campuses and outside the George Municipality for George Campus.
- Final acceptance into on-campus residence, for first years will depend on your final examination results.
- Students are advised to come to residence only if they have received a sms clearly specifying the date of arrival.
- Applicants who are not accepted due to on-campus residences being full, will be placed in our accredited off-campus residences.
NNMU Accommodation International students
International Students have the choice of either staying on campus or off campus. The number of on campus residences is limited and preference is given to South African Students. It is thus advisable that you secure your accommodation arrangements before leaving your home country. The Off Campus Housing Office will assist you in obtaining accommodation, provided you have paid and applied within the given timeframes. If a student does not want the accommodation sourced by the Office, they will be referred to a hotel, guest house or backpacker’s at the student’s own cost. The Office for International Education offers a comprehensive support network and students and visitors can feel confident that they will be made welcome and looked after during their stay.
There is limited accommodation available whether on or off campus and it is allocated on a first- come first- serve basis. The following procedure is set for application:
- Download and/or complete the posted accommodation application forms and return via fax or post to the Office for International Education. (Please note that the accommodation application form will only be forwarded with your acceptance letter)
- Ensure immediate payment of your R2000.00 accommodation deposit as stated on the application form to avoid disappointment.
- Applications should reach the Office no later than the second Friday in May (for second semester intake) and no later than the 19th November (for following year intake).
- Deposits are to be settled within two weeks of application.
- There will be no guarantee of placement for late applications.
- All residence fees are payable in advance per semester
Should you wish to source your own accommodation, kindly notify the Office of your intended address prior to arrival (degree seeking students only). Please note that study abroad and exchange students are to stay in accredited accommodation only. Information on non-accredited accommodation may be forwarded to the Off Campus Housing Office for purposes of accreditation. This may take several months and is not guaranteed. Contact the study abroad office if you require more information on this.
|PER ANNUM||PER SEMESTER|
|VERITAS, MELODI, XANADU||Single Room||R19 340||R9 670|
|Double Room||R17 720||R8 860|
|UNITAS||Single Room (small)||R18 040||R9 020|
|Single Room (large)||R19 340||R9 670|
|OCEANA, LEBOMBO, LETABA,||Single Room||R24 500||R12 250|
|Double Room||R21 700||R10 850|
|INDWE, IKAMVA||Shared Unit (small)||R27 200||R13 600|
|Shared Unit (large)||R28 080||R14 040|
|Single (small)||R32 300||R16 150|
|Single (large)||R33 700||R16 850|
|STUDENT VILLAGE||Ex-Guest quarters||R24 300||R12 150|
|Student Village – 1 bedroom||R41 360||R20 680|
|Student Village – 2 bedroom||R37 800||R18 900|
|Student Village – 3 bedroom||R35 000||R17 500|
|PROTEA RESIDENCES||Single en-suite units||R40 380||R20 190|
|2-sharing units for disabled||R39 200||R19 600|
|2-sharing units||R36 720||R18 360|
|3-sharing units||R35 420||R17 710|
|4-sharing units||R33 060||R16 530|
|GEORGE – HOUSES||Single Room||R26 580||R13 290|
|Double Room||R23 540||R11 770|
|GEORGE – RESIDENCES||Single Room||R25 700||R12 850|
|Double Room||R22 680||R11 340|
|GEORGE – RESIDENCES – ARBOREA||Double room||R23 560||R11 780|
|GEORGE – PGSV – WINDHEUWEL||Single room||R32 620||R16 310|
|GEORGE – WINDHEUWEL||Single room (small)||R23 540||R11 770|
|Single room (medium)||R25 720||R12 860|
|Single room (larger)||R26 580||R13 290|
|Single room (large)||R32 620||R16 310|
|GEORGE – PATULA||Single room (small)||R23 540||R11 770|
|Single room (large)||R25 720||R12 860|
|GEORGE – AKKERDRAAI||Single room (small)||R23 540||R11 770|
|Single room (medium)||R25 720||R12 860|
|Single room (large)||R26 580||R13 290|
Accredited Off-campus accommodation
Please visit our website for off-campus accommodation